FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST REFERENCE NO: 82-2022
I write in connection with your request for information which was received on 26th January 2022 as follows:
This freedom of information request relates to Records of Taped Interviews (ROTI) and Records of Video Interviews (ROVI) transcripts. Please could you provide answers to the following questions?
1) How many ROTI/ROVI transcribers currently are employed by Warwickshire Police?
2) Are ROTI/ROVI transcribers employees of Warwickshire Police or is the work outsourced to an external agency? If outsourced, which external agency is the work outsourced to?
3) Does Warwickshire Police use, or are you planning to use, automatic transcription systems to produce ROTI/ROVI transcripts? If yes, which do you use/ plan to use?
4) Can you provide an estimate of how many ROTI/ROVI transcripts are produced by Warwickshire Police in an average week?
5) What is the average cost per minute for a ROTI/ROVI transcript? If this is calculated another way than by the minute, please provide alternative calculation of cost.
6) What job-specific skills or qualifications do you require ROTI transcribers to have?
7) What training is provided for a new ROTI/ROVI transcriber at Warwickshire Police?
8) What, if any, is the ongoing training provided for ROTI/ROVI transcribers at Warwickshire Police?
9) What, if any, formal or informal guidance are ROTI/ROVI transcribers provided with for the purpose of producing transcripts?
10) What format is used to record police interviews with suspects and witnesses at Warwickshire Police (e.g. VHS, cassette tape, CD, digitally recorded, written only) and how are interview recordings stored?
Please see the Warwickshire Police response set out below.
Q1 response: 6
Q2 response: All are employees of Warwickshire Police
Q3 response: No
Q4 response: No information held; however, I can advise that an average of 21 ROTI transcripts per week were produced by the Criminal Justice Typing team in 2021.
Q5 response: No information held; however, I can advise that the typist salary is Band B - £19,452 to £20,706. This works out at a rate of £10.73 per hour at the top end of this scale.
5 A - C grade GCSEs (including English language) or equivalent.
Competent in the use of IT including Microsoft packages.
RSA II typing (50 wpm), or equivalent.
Experience of working as part of a team.
Proven ability to summarise information accurately, ensuring inclusion of all salient points.
Good audio typing skills.
Proven ability to work under pressure, managing a high workload
Q7 response: In house training is provided in line with a set out training plan, carried out by experienced members of the team.
Q8 response: Training is provided as and when required.
Q9 response: We used in house typing guides, process maps, the PNLD Definitions and Points to Prove guidance booklet and practice discs.
Q10 response: CDs. The discs are kept on site in secure storage (on racks). Once the case is dealt with, they are archived and sent to our long-term storage facility.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is as accurate as possible.
Your attention is drawn to the below which details your right of complaint.
Should you have any further enquiries concerning this matter, please write or email the Freedom of Information Unit quoting the reference number above.