Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Theft or unauthorised taking of a motor vehicle

What to do now?

You can contact the police on 101 to report the theft, visit a police station or alternatively use the .

If you are unsure of where your local police station is and what time it is open, you can check here.

Before contacting the police to report that your vehicle has been stolen you must ensure that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and have the following information:

  • The make, model and registration plate of the vehicle

You may also be asked the following questions when you report your vehicle as stolen:

  • How much fuel was in the vehicle before it was stolen
  • Whether the vehicle was taken with or without keys
  • Whether you are a smoker/non-smoker as this could be relevant information for if once the vehicle is found, and forensics have examined it and they find cigarette butts in the vehicle, if you are a non-smoker then it can be assumed that the cigarette butts belong to the suspect(s)

If you are calling to report the theft of a company vehicle then you must ensure that you have the following information:

  • The make, model and Registration Plate of the vehicle
  • Details of the company including the name, address and contact number for the company - as the company would be recorded as the victim of the theft

What happens next?

One you have contacted the police, they will circulate the vehicle as stolen on the Police National Computer (PNC) and dependant on the time frame the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) can be alerted for hits on the vehicle. The police will issue you with a Crime Reference Number and a contact number for you to keep them updated on any further information you may have concerning the theft of your vehicle.

After seven days of reporting your vehicle as stolen, anniversary checks will be completed so see if there have been any hits on your vehicle and you will be updated accordingly.

What else can I do?

You should inform your Insurance company and provide them with the Crime Reference Number.