Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Criminal damage to a vehicle

What to do now?

Before contacting the police to report criminal damage to your vehicle you must ensure that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and have the following information:

  • The make, model and registration plate of the vehicle

If you are calling to report criminal damage to a company vehicle. you must ensure that you have the following information:

  • The make, model and registration plate of the vehicle
  • Details of the company - name, address and contact number of who the vehicle is registered to as they would be recorded as the victim of the crime

You can contact the Police on 101 to report the criminal damage, visit a police station or alternatively use the .

If you are unsure of where your local police station is and what time it is open, you can check here.

If the suspect has left anything behind which may be of any forensic value then this should be mentioned when you make your report to the police so that forensic advice can be given and should certain criteria be met then the Forensic Team may come out.

What happens next?

Once you have reported the criminal damage to the police to you will be given a Crime Reference Number which you can use for insurance purposes. The incident will then be investigated by the police and you will be kept updated on the status of the investigation.

If you feel that you would like some reassurance and safety advice then this can be arranged so the local officers from the Safer Neighbourhood Team can come out to see you or alternatively give you a call. To find you local Safer Neighbourhood Team please enter your postcode in the search below.

loading icon

What else can I do?

If you wish, you can take photos of the damage to your vehicle and these can be attached to the Crime Report once it has been submitted.

If you or a neighbour has CCTV which covers the offence location, you could review this prior to calling the police and update them accordingly on whether there is any CCTV coverage of the offence and what it may show.