Search Site

Leave page quickly

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is defined as "conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person". This is the generally accepted term.

ASB is further defined under certain circumstances, as follows:

  • For the purposes of an application to the courts by a housing provider, local authority or the police for a civil injunction: "Conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person's occupation of residential premises"
  • For the purposes of the housing management functions of a housing provider or local authority: "Conduct capable of causing housing-related nuisance or annoyance to any person"
  • For the purposes of ASB case reviews (the "Community Trigger"): "Behaviour causing harassment, alarm or distress to members or any member of the public"

Who do I report anti-social behaviour to?

You can report incidents of ASB to a number of organisations and agencies, depending upon the level, type and location of the anti-social behaviour. For example - private and housing association tenants or leaseholders should report problems with neighbours or problems in the neighbourhood to their landlord or housing provider.

Reporting antisocial behaviour:

Unfortunately there is no single point of contact to report all antisocial behaviour to. It depends on what the problem is, how serious it is and how quickly it needs to be dealt with. The following advice and links should, however, assist you to report ASB incidents - including incidents that are usually dealt with by other organisations:

Criminal behaviour such as hate crime, ongoing harassment, assault, threats or intimidation, theft or damage to property, should always be reported to the police.

  • Phone 999 in an emergency
  • Phone 101 or 
  • Neighbour Disputes

    We would all like to live in peace with our neighbours, but unfortunately that is sometimes not how things work out. Here's what you can do if you are having problems. Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in neighbour disputes. However, we'll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help.

  • Noise

    The prosecuting authority in England for noise nuisance is your local authority. The police within England and Wales have very limited powers to deal with noise nuisance.

  • Fly tipping

    Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. Often, this will involve dumping large items that are dumped instead of being legally disposed of at a household waste and recycling centre or commercial site.

  • Parking

    Parking issues are handled by a mixture of local authority and police powers, depending on the situation.

  • Off-road motorbikes

    What does the law say and why?

  • Abandoned vehicles

    You can report an untaxed vehicle that you've seen on a public road anonymously to DVLA. Your report will be investigated.

  • Dogs fouling and barking

    Information on dog fouling, dog barking and dog incidents