There is a list of businesses and venues which the government has said must close.

Planning regulation has been changed to enable some restaurants, cafes and pubs to offer delivery and takeaway services.  

Businesses allowed to stay open include:

  • food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops
  • off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries)
  • pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists
  • newsagents
  • homeware, building supplies and hardware stores
  • garden centres (except Scotland)
  • petrol stations
  • car repair and MOT services
  • bicycle shops
  • taxi or vehicle hire businesses
  • banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers and cash points
  • post offices
  • funeral directors
  • laundrettes and dry cleaners
  • dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health
  • veterinary surgeons and pet shops
  • agricultural supply shops

Local authority environmental health and trading standards officers are usually responsible for enforcing regulations around the closure of businesses. However you can contact us about this in the first instance, if you're concerned.