Contacting the police


Making a complaint about the conduct of an individual police officer or member of police staff

It is important that you read the information on this page in full before making a complaint.

What can I complain about?

If you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly, you have the right to make a complaint.

People who work in the police service should behave appropriately at all times. Expectations about the behaviour of both police officers and members of police staff are set out in their respective Standards of Professional Behaviour. These expectations include requirements to:

  • Act with honesty and integrity, fairness and impartiality
  • Treat members of the public and their colleagues with respect
  • Not abuse their powers and authority
  • Act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service

If you feel that someone working for the police has not met these standards, you can make a complaint. These types of complaints are dealt with under the Police Reform Act 2002.

Other types of complaint

Complaints about the overall policies or procedures of a police force are often referred to as ‘direction and control issues’. These can include complaints about the organisation of a police force or general policing standards in your local area. These complaints cannot be dealt with under the Police Reform Act 2002.

These complaints can be made by email, post, online or in person as per the details in the following section.

How can I make a complaint about the conduct of a person serving with the police?

There are several ways to make a complaint to Warwickshire Police.

In person
You can complain in person at your local station or any other station within Warwickshire Police. A police officer or a member of police staff will speak to you about your complaint and will explain your options.

By email
You can email us at

By post
Write to the following address:
Professional Standards Department,
Warwickshire Police
PO Box 4, Leek Wootton
CV35 7QB

Using our Online FormComplaints Button

Police Reform Act 2002

In accordance with the change to the Police Reform act 2002 under paragraph 28A of Schedule 3 regarding IPCC recommendations:
When the IPCC has:

i. received a report on a DSI investigation or a report on a supervised, managed or independent investigation into a complaint or conduct matter; or

ii. determined an appeal against:

  • a local / supervised investigation, or
  • the outcome of the local resolution of a complaint or the outcome of a complaint handled otherwise than in accordance with Schedule 3 of the Police Reform Act (see paragraphs 13.61 to 13.66) the IPCC may make a recommendation about a matter dealt with in the report or appeal.

These recommendations are published and can be viewed by following the below link:

Making your complaint

Your complaint will be recorded by the Professional Standards Department (PSD) of Warwickshire Police. PSDs have overall responsibility for recording and handling complaints about the conduct of individual officers or members of police staff. PSDs are completely separate from the officers or members of staff who are complained about.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

Once your complaint is accepted and recorded as being about the conduct of a police officer or member of police staff, then it will be dealt with in one of two ways:

Local resolution

Local resolution is an informal approach to resolving complaints. It allows forces to learn lessons and improve the way they do things. Many people prefer their complaint to be dealt with in this way.

If at the end of the local resolution process you are dissatisfied with the process followed, you have a right of appeal.

Local investigation

If your complaint is not suitable for Local Resolution, a local investigation will be carried out by a police investigator. The investigator will usually be assigned from the police PSD, but they could be locally based.

You will be informed how your complaint will be investigated, what co-operation is required from you, how a decision will be reached and what action will be taken at the end of the investigation. The type of investigation will depend on the nature and seriousness of your complaint and the likely outcome. An investigation might range from telephone enquiries conducted in a few hours to a more extensive process perhaps taking a number of months.

Further Information About The Complaints Process

The Independent Police Complaints Commision has produced a number of guides with more information about the complaints process, which are available to download below (PDF files - requires Adobe Reader to view):

Appealing Against A Complaint Decision - Forms

If you are wishing to appeal against a complaint decision, please download and complete one of the forms below and return to the address stated on the form.


Giving a Complaint, Compliment or other feedback/suggestion:

If you have read the advice to the left and wish to make a complaint using the online form please click the link below. Link to Making a Complaint section

If you would like to give a compliment or leave feedback please click the link below. Link to Giving a Compliment or Leaving Feedback section